You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven. (Matthew 5:14-16)
Maybe you’re new to workplace leadership. Or you may have forgotten about the influence you have. Then again, some of you are actively resisting what you know is God’s purpose for your life in regard to your job and position.
Here are seven fundamental truths about God’s intention for the workplace.
1. People spend most of their waking hours in the workplace.
2. God has not turned the workplace over to His enemies.
3. Every person who has influence over one or more people in the workplace is a workplace leader. It doesn’t matter where your position falls in the hierarchy of the company or organization. Nor does age matter, yours or those you’re leading.
4. God is a careful orchestrator. There are no coincidences for God’s children. You are a workplace leader because God wants you to be and because He has intention in your positioning.
5. It is your responsibility to discover how God intends to use you in your current position and to surrender to His intention.
6. On the other hand, God knows something about you that has led Him to position you here. He has favored you with His wisdom and grace. He is offering you an opportunity to walk in His glory.
7. God has promised to prepare you and go before you. The first step is to surrender to His will; then His grace will accomplish the rest.
Remember that as the Church we are called outside of the places we gather to worship. We are set apart to be holy salt and light. We are the instruments of God’s glory ‒ everywhere and all the time!